I am Lovin'TheGoodOleDays!


Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you're here. You'll find information about my shop; favorite recipes; features of other crafters and artisans; tidbits of beach living; and the ups and downs of life.

Yes, there were some things about the past that were definitely great, but everyone's list is slightly different. This blog is my contribution to the things that make life great, and not so great. Like all things, this blog will grow and change as I do. Come grow with me.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Oh Philly, This is Not What They Meant By Brotherly Love

When you live in a major metropolitan area you are bound to see a plethora of billboards advertising a wide range of products and services.  Philadelphia, until recently, was the city I frequented the most. Now I live in lower Delaware and only venture near Philly when I absolutely have to.

Just last week I caught sight of this billboard on the side of I-95.  


Yup, shock value accomplished!  I had to do double-take to make sure I saw that correctly.  Wow, how low can we go?  I was none too happy to have to then explain to my 12 year old stepson and my 9 year old son the whole concept of adultery and the purpose of said billboard.

Last year I remember seeing another shocking billboard advertising laser tattoo removal.  The image was of a woman's bare back with four names tattooed in an ascending list. The first three names were all crossed out with just the top name showing.  The words "People Change" were in large print on the ad.  What changed was her preference to switch from male partners (the first three names) to a female partner (the last name).  I have no problems with a person's sexual orientation. In fact, I couldn't care less who one chooses to be with.  My issue with this billboard in particular is that this advertising company was forcing me to have a conversation with my then 8 year old son about sexual orientation.  Yes, it's a conversation that needed to happen, however, I think it should be up to the parent when they feel their children are ready to discuss such grown up topics.

Then there's this one.  Oh Ashley Madison, I know people cheat. They (not all) always have, and always will, but do we need to see this every day on our way to and from work?


Really, Philadelphia, is this the message you want to be sending out to the world? Money talks, I guess that's the bottom line, eh?

8 comments:

Steph said...

Those are the craziest billboards!!! Seriously??!!! And I consider myself open minded, non judgemental, and definitely not a prude!!!

Unknown said...

They are indeed. I wish I had taken a pic of the other one, but they have since replaced it. Sad, just sad.

colleen said...

I can hardly believe it! What's sad is that they are probably doing a booming business. What won't some people do for money anyway?

Unknown said...

You're probably right, and yes, it is sad.

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Wow. Really? Crap. Those are really poor in taste for the general public to see. It's like the really nasty zombie horror ones for TV shows & movies - It's not appropriate for them to see on TV or Movie - why should it be appropriate for them to see in public? That stuff gives people nightmares and anxiety. Seriously - the general public should not have to see stuff like that. Keep it on adult appropriate outlets to advertise to the right audience. Ugh!

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

I edited it above & hit too fast - I was referring that it's not appropriate for my kids (and most young people - with PG13 or R ratings) to see those TV shows and Movies. And seeing things like those billboards out in public would give them nightmares, and make them anxious. I guess some adults too...

Unknown said...

I'm just so glad I don't live there anymore. I know I can't shelter my son forever, but this is just immoral and wrong.

Unknown said...

Just this morning Philly.com posted an article that there are several groups protesting the Arrangementfinder.com's billboard, while Steen, the advertising company is claiming they didn't know what the content would be until it was put up. Thankfully the four week contract is almost up, with no plans for a renewal. Here's a link to the article: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130206_Pastors_protest_sugar-daddy_billboard_in_Southwest_Philly.html