I am Lovin'TheGoodOleDays!


Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you're here. You'll find information about my shop; favorite recipes; features of other crafters and artisans; tidbits of beach living; and the ups and downs of life.

Yes, there were some things about the past that were definitely great, but everyone's list is slightly different. This blog is my contribution to the things that make life great, and not so great. Like all things, this blog will grow and change as I do. Come grow with me.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Finding Your Inspiration

Yesterday while filling out a questionnaire about my Etsy shop, TheGoodOleDays, I was asked where I found my inspiration.  It seemed like a simple enough and straightforward question. However, the answer isn't quite so clear cut.  I get my inspiration when I'm walking down the street and I see a skirt or top I like, or when I'm browsing in a bookstore or strolling through the mall.  Colors catch my eye, or fabric designs.  Sometimes I'll buy fabric that I really like but will hold onto it for a while until it "tells" me what it wants to be.  (Ok, I know that sounds crazy.  Let me give you an example.) This apron set...


was a custom order for a friend. She had chosen the fabric she wanted, but when I saw it I just knew this was not going to be barbecue-style apron like the ones I had been making.  This was my first reto-style apron.  Sometimes, like in this instance, I can imagine something totally different, even if it's something I've never made before.  Take this recent fabric purchase of mine...


This one is screaming to me..."I'm not an apron! Please don't make me into an apron." So, what could I do? This fabulous fabric is soon to be a hot little wiggle skirt.  I may be tempted to just keep it for myself ;)

And one more for now.  I absolutely love the sweater coats I keep seeing on Etsy, but they are totally out of my price range right now.  However, when I caught this tutorial...


from Katwise on Etsy I was immediately inspired to make my own sweater coat!

Inspiration is everywhere. The key is letting yourself be inspired and then get out there and make something.

No comments: