I am Lovin'TheGoodOleDays!


Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you're here. You'll find information about my shop; favorite recipes; features of other crafters and artisans; tidbits of beach living; and the ups and downs of life.

Yes, there were some things about the past that were definitely great, but everyone's list is slightly different. This blog is my contribution to the things that make life great, and not so great. Like all things, this blog will grow and change as I do. Come grow with me.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How To Tuesday...He, Who, Him, Whom...Huh?

This is the first "How To Tuesday" blogpost.  Today I will show you how to tell when to use he and whom and him and whom.

Back when I lived in Pittsburgh I taught an adult basic education class at the local Goodwill.  It was my job to help these folks get a basic grasp of the English language.  One of my lessons focused on when to use he or him, and when to use him, or the now archaic, whom.  So, here it is in a nutshell.

(I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they)---Who
You can properly answer the question, "Who ___?" with any of the above pronouns.

Examples:
They are home.
Who is home.
They are!

She is my sister.
Who is your sister?
She is!

(me, you, him, her, it, us, you, them)---Whom
These pronouns, when not used as the subject ("it" and "you" could be used as either) are always accompanied with "helper words," such as with, to, and for.  As a neumonic device, it also helps to remember that him and whom both end with "m," so it's easy to remember that they go together.  But why you may ask.  It's best to show with an example...

I'm going to the store with him.
With whom are you going?
With him!

She gave the book to us.
Who did she give it to? or (not frequently used anymore, but still correct) To whom did she give the book?
Same answer in either case...To us!

OK, but wait. What's wrong with saying "Me and him?"  I know I've heard a lot of people say that.  I'm sure you have, too.  Here's when you know...

If you can take "him" out of the sentence, what are you left with?  "Me."
So take the sentence, "Me and him are going to eat lunch."
Now take him out of the sentence.  Would you say, "Me is going to eat lunch?" I would hope not.  The correct way to say that would be, "I am going to eat lunch."
OK, now bring him back.  "I and him..." That's just painful to hear.  What's wrong now?  The problem is that "me" didn't do anything.  "I did it."  Remember the question above..."Who did it?"  Well, here you go.  "I did it," and "He did it, too."  So the correct use would be "He and I (think of good manners and always put yourself last) are going to eat lunch"...or, how about..."We are going to eat lunch?"

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.  Just remember He/Who...Him/Whom.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Great reminder - wonder if I let my teens see this if it would help :)

Memories for Life said...

Good examples. I'll refer to this when using who vs. whom...it's always a tricky one!

Anonymous said...

Always great advice -- very clearly written, too!

Yankee Burrow Creations said...

thanks for the refresher. too bad they don't teach this in school anymore.
Debbi
-yankeeburrowcreations

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment. Be sure to check back for more mini lessons. Some folks hate grammar, but I really enjoy it.

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

I used "whom" on Christmas while talking to one of my husband's cousins and he had no idea what I was saying. It made me die a little on the inside.

SewSweetVIntage said...

Love going over what i somehow write or say instinctively cause my brain cells have forgotten what i learned in Mrs. ?? class:)