I am Lovin'TheGoodOleDays!


Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you're here. You'll find information about my shop; favorite recipes; features of other crafters and artisans; tidbits of beach living; and the ups and downs of life.

Yes, there were some things about the past that were definitely great, but everyone's list is slightly different. This blog is my contribution to the things that make life great, and not so great. Like all things, this blog will grow and change as I do. Come grow with me.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

It's Not Worth It



I work for a major grocery store chain. I am a cashier and I have lots of interaction with all types of people. Since I'm in a beach community, I see many people who are still working for a living, those who are retired, and those who have done well enough for themselves to either not have to work anymore or who can afford to have a beach home and come here to unwind and relax.

Whatever their economic status or age, they all come through my line. And I ask them all if they brought their own grocery bags. Our company encourages folks to bring their their own bags by offering a 5 cent discount per bag. It could be a canvas bag, a homemade cotton bag, a recycled pet food bag, or even our plastic bags which they brought back to reuse.

Lots of folks do bring their own, and make sure to get their discount. I am one of those people myself. For one thing our bags are not as strong as they used to be and rip easily. My bags are more durable and can hold more. Plus, it's my money and I want to keep as much of it as I can, thank you very much.

You can be sure many don't care about a measly 5 cents, but it does add up and besides it's just a token way for the store to say, "Thank you for doing your part."  Not long ago I had a couple come through my line. I asked them if they had any bags and the woman made a point of telling me how unhealthy recycled bags are because the liquids from the foods get on the bags.  Her husband continued to bag their items and said it just wasn't worth it.  Without even thinking or meaning to be insulting I smiled at the woman and chuckled and said, "Then you just wash them." Am I the only one who thinks that's just in-your-face obvious? What did people do before disposable diapers or paper towels and napkins?

I am currently collecting large pet food bags to make my own recycled grocery bags. I will definitely be using them when I do my shopping and may offer them in my shop, as well.  I've seen many blogs, websites, and items for sale to know that many do care about the Earth and minimizing our damage done. But, this one instant reminded me that many people still don't "get it."

Do you get it? What shade of green are you? I'd love to hear what you are doing to reduce your carbon footprint.

4 comments:

2justByou said...

You're so right about these plastic grocery bags of today not being what they used to be. It's MUCH better to bring your own bags! I wish the stores in my area offered a discount. We bring in reusable bags, but I never thought to upcycle pet food bags (which we do have). That's a great idea. We also make paper beads and other fun stuff with junk mail and other used papers. =0)
~Kim
www.2justByou.com

Unknown said...

That's too bad you don't get a bag discount. Maybe you could suggest it? Paper beads sounds like a great project to do with the kids. It's better than just throwing the mailers away.

The Sunshine Grove said...

Yes, you wash them! And if you don't want to wash them, just get your meat in a plastic bag. It is really simple. Reusable bags are so economical too. I did a post on the recycle program in my city of Earth Day and the one thing they stressed was how bad plastic bags are not only for the environment but also to recycle. Keep at, you are encouraging a good thing!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish more people had your mindset.