I am Lovin'TheGoodOleDays!


Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you're here. You'll find information about my shop; favorite recipes; features of other crafters and artisans; tidbits of beach living; and the ups and downs of life.

Yes, there were some things about the past that were definitely great, but everyone's list is slightly different. This blog is my contribution to the things that make life great, and not so great. Like all things, this blog will grow and change as I do. Come grow with me.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Best Ever Yummy and Healthy Bread

I discovered this recipe on Allrecipes.com.  It was originally called "Amish White Bread,"  but  I have changed it up quite a bit, so it's neither Amish nor white bread anymore.  This is by far a favorite of my family.  My son will even eat a sandwhich which an end piece:)  Excellent for sandwhiches, toast, or as is.  This bread is both hearty and fulfilling.

Best Ever Yummy and Healthy Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
1/3 and 1/2 of 1/3 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
4 cups bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup  flax seed (I grind it myself)
1/4  walnuts (I chop these myself, too)
1/4 sunflower seeds


Directions:
1.  In a large bowl dissolve the sugar in warm water, then add in the yeast.

2.  When the yeast has proofed (you'll know because it has an unpleasant smell and looks foamy), add the salt and the oil.

3.  In a blender, grind the flax see until it is fine powder, then add the walnuts, sunflower seeds, and rolled oats and chop until the you like the consistency of the mixture.  (We like  it coarse.)

4.  Mix in the flour into the liquid a cup at a time.  (I measure out the flour into two separate bowls and then add a little from each until all the flour has been added.  When it get to thick to  stir I mix by hand--my son loves this part.)

5.  After all the flour is all mixed in, add the nut, seed, oat mixture and work it into the dough.

6.  Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.  (I usually knead it until my fingers and arms don't have the strength to go anymore.)

7.  Shape the dough into a ball and put it into a well oiled bowl.  Turn it to make sure the whole surface is oiled.  Then cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it sit for about an hour or until it has doubled in size (or gets a lot bigger).

8.  Punch down the dough.  Knead it again for a few minutes.  Make two loaves and put them into lightly greased loaf pans.  (I like to use butter. )  Cover with the damp cloth again and let them sit until they have risen above the pan.  (The original recipe said 30 minutes, but it's more like an hour for me.)

9.  Lightly brush the top with butter, then bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the house smells like bread.





Please let me know how this turned out for you and what, if any, changes you made to make it yours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't tried the bread yet, but I LOVE your blog!!! Great job!

Little Champ said...

i definitely don't have the patience to make break, but this looks supper yummy!
did you wear one of your awesome aprons while you baked it? :)

Unknown said...

Thank you both, and yes, LittleChamp, I wore my favorite apron (the one in the pic from the craft fair.) Just went to Walmart today and got Spiderman fabric (and a bunch more) so I can make my son a proper cooking apron. I'll be sure to post pics of him in it.

MegsCrochetJewels said...

mmmm Sounds delish!! Nothing better then fresh baked bread:)

Do you know any recipes that use cultured yeast? I can't use dry yeast when I bake because I have a bad reaction but I was told that I should be able to use cultured yeast. Iv heard that it come in a block? I don't know I couldn't find much about it.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kreations for Kids.

Unknown said...

Sorry Megs, I don't, but if I find a good one I'll put it up here for ya.